Search This Blog

Saved By Grace Alone

We hope you are encouraged by what you read here.

Followers

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lord at All Times

February 16, 2010

Genesis 1:3-5
Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. 4And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.


Matthew Henry: “[Observe] 5. That God divided them from each other by distinguishing names: He called the light day, and the darkness He called night. He gave them names, as the Lord of both. Let us acknowledge God in the constant succession of day and night and consecrate both to His honour, by working for him every day and resting in him every night.”



Clay Miller: The sun is setting as I type this. Night is coming. Soon I will go to bed. But God stays up. He never sleeps. He has no weakness requiring sleep. He is always strong. He is Lord while I sleep. He is Lord while I am awake. He is Lord when there is understanding (light); He is Lord when there is ignorance and error (darkness); He is Lord when things are just and right in the world (light); He is Lord when injustice is prevailing in the world (darkness). He has His uses for all of it. He is controlling it all. Therefore I can rest in Him.

More and more as I grow older and learn from God’s word and experience which I measure with God’s word, I am learning that every aspect of my life should be God-centered. So what Matthew Henry says here about consecrating both night and day to him, makes sense to me. God established a faithful succession of light and darkness for us…it is a reminder that He is faithful even when we are not. More later…