Search This Blog

Saved By Grace Alone

We hope you are encouraged by what you read here.

Followers

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Challenge for Clay: Measure It All By God's Word

January 12, 2010
Here is a challenge for me. All my actions, responses, beliefs, traditions, etc…why do I believe them and are they consistent with God’s word?

I find I am shaped in many ways by my culture rather than God’s word. I affirm the Bible at points where I do not realize my life is not affirming a true conviction of that truth. For example, I may want someone to have revenge on someone and enjoy it. Last night, our neighborhood was hit by thieves and they got into my Blazer and Pilot which were not locked (my fault). My first response: “I wish I could have caught those punks, losers, etc…” My mind kept going back all day long to what I “wish” could have happened if I would have caught them. Now, if I go to my cultural handbook (TV) that is pretty consistent thinking. But if I go to God’s word…well, not so much. I am angry because our property was violated…reasonable. But should I then act inconsistently from Christian protocol? No. Can I pursue justice? Yes. Can I expect consequences on offenders? Yes. Should I gloat and wish pain on those people? No. That is not consistent with the faith. It is amazing how much work I still have left on me. But I thank God that it is all covered in Christ and because of Christ, God is working this stuff out of me little by little.