Search This Blog

Saved By Grace Alone

We hope you are encouraged by what you read here.

Followers

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Won't Change the Past But Will Strive to Change the Pattern of the Past for the Future

April 6, 2010

Genesis 1:9-13
Then God said, "Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear"; and it was so. 10And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good. 11Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth"; and it was so. 12And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 13So the evening and the morning were the third day.
Matthew Henry: [Observe] “4. That it is good to provide things necessary before we have occasion to use them: before the beasts and man were made, here were grass and herbs prepared for them. God thus dealt wisely and graciously with man; let not man then be foolish and unwise for himself. 5. That God must have the glory of all the benefit we receive from the products of the earth, either for food or physic. It is he that hears the heavens when they hear the earth, Hos. 2:21, 22. And if we have, through grace, an interest in him who is the fountain, when the streams are dried up and the fig-tree doth not blossom we may rejoice in him.


Clay Miller: God did set an example of preparation in creation. I am a personal testimony of putting the cart before the horse in life. I have done that in major ways that have had major affects. I was just talking tonight about how I am disappointed in some ways about my life. But at the same time, God’s grace in the midst of my failures have been amazing and beyond. I would not change anything in my past because of the graces I have now. But I want to look to the future with the attitude that I want to change that pattern of the past for my future. I need to do things right, with preparation. We should sow the field and get it ready before we build. God’s wisdom shows this in how He first made ready a habitat for the living breathing creatures.

And lastly, from this passage, Henry reminds me that all the benefits we receive from the earth are from God and to His glory. I miss this a lot in my ungrateful habits. But this is a timely reminder to thank God for everything. I have because He has given.