Search This Blog

Saved By Grace Alone

We hope you are encouraged by what you read here.

Followers

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

God's World, as in He Owns It

March 23rd 2010
Great to be back and I hope consistently again. We have has some deaths in our lives, and some illness. I am fighting yet another virus yesterday and today. Just a fever and aches. I am determined to get back on track on my studies so Lord willing, here it goes…

Genesis 1:9-13
Then God said, "Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear"; and it was so. 10And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good. 11Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth"; and it was so. 12And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 13So the evening and the morning were the third day.


Matthew Henry: “Observe here, 1. That not only the earth is the Lord’s, but the fulness thereof, and he is the rightful owner and sovereign disposer, not only of it, but of all its furniture. The earth was emptiness (v. 2), but now, by a word’s speaking, it has become full of God’s riches, and his they are still—his corn and his wine, his wool and his flax…

Hos. 2:9
"Therefore I will return and take away My grain in its time And My new wine in its season, And will take back My wool and My linen, Given to cover her nakedness.


…Though the use of them is allowed to us, the property still remains in him, and to his service and honour they must be used.


Clay Miller: This is the reason we Christians understand ourselves, or should understand ourselves to be stewards here and not owners. Even this body I inhabit is God’s. I am God’s. I am His property. He owns me. He is the Creator God and has a plan and within that plan I live and act and consent, however so unwittingly it may be. This is His portrait, being painted the exact way He wants it and it will always be so. God created me and all of this “stuff” for Himself.

Over the last couple of days much has been said about the new Health Care Plan passed by Congress and signed into law today. Whether you agree or disagree with it, it is part of God’s painting and another major part of His awesome work is how He is leading those who are His to search out Scriptural responses to what we now have as law. This is the time that God takes His brush and strokes beautiful renditions of humility, love, blessedness and service. I oppose the health bill. That is not for this BLOG. But my heart attitude toward it needs to be uniquely Christian because I should understand that this did not happen behind God’s back. This happened because God means for it to…for now at least. Understanding God’s sovereignty should help us, encourage us, and humble us at times we feel attacked. It is all God’s. If He so chooses to let our government fall, or our nation to be defeated, then it will happen. We should battle, but in godliness. And we need to respond biblically so that we can be salt and light in a world that has really been dark all along. More later…